Sunday, April 25, 2010

Qué bella es la vida

I made this bracelet today at a workshop in Havana, Florida.  Paula Kroft taught the class and her daughter Stacey made the lampwork beads.  You can find them at One Sweet Bead in Orlando, Florida.  They have fabulously juicy tumbled sea glass beads and beautiful hammered glass beads, plus Stacey's lampwork, and all kinds of silver clay, copper clay,  and bronze clay pieces by Paula.  Metal clay and lampwork classes are offered through the website.  Paula's blog with the show schedule is Bluejack Oak.

Paula has got to be one of the best instructors I have met.  She outlined the entire project, explaining the reasons for each step, gave tips about the materials and tools, and did this all in the first few minutes of class so that it didn't at all feel as if she were keeping us from the project.  When we started she paid careful attention to the consistency of our clay, how long we were holding it in our hands, and how we were cutting it.  I was so impressed with how much confidence I gained in a short period of time.  I had loads of questions and she and Stacey answered everything for me.  Now I just need to carve out some time to take out the pack of clay and get to work.

I made the round links, the story bar, and the heart charm.  I strung #15/0 seed beads with sterling silver, crazy lace agate, and Stacey's lampwork beads.  These pics don't even come close to showing the amazing depth of colors in the swirls of the glass.  They are also not round, but look almost faceted.

such a bad picture, but the best I could do with little sun

Posted by PicasaThe spacer beads are blue crazy lace agate and 3mm silver balls.  Yes, there are two clasps on this because the beaded band is interchangeable.  I already know I'm going to be making some bead woven band. I can feel those seed beads calling.  I think that the lampwork beads are actually a bit too big for the piece and will go to their own bracelet.  Paula said as much before I decided I had to have them,  but what the heck, they are so beautiful in person and I'll make an awsome piece where they can shine on there own.  I'll make the rest of Qué bella es la vida with more agate which has wonderful white swirls in it and reminds me of high clouds on a sunny day.  Perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment