Sunday, June 6, 2010

Roll it, stamp it, bake it

My love affair with stamps began many years ago, but it was only in the past three that my collection has grown.  I started stamping my students' papers as I went around the room to check their warm-up work.  It was intended as motivation - to get them to hurry up when I started making my rounds.  It has worked splendidly and they even started buying me stamps and stamp pads.
I brought them home to clean them after students used them in a preposition activity.

I started playing with polymer clay last fall about the same time I picked up seed beads.  I'm not really sure what was happening in my mind, but I know it had something to do with frustration at not being able to buy beads where I live.  Yes, yes, I buy lots on the internet, but there is something about holding them in your hands, seeing the color, texture, size, and weight that is essential to me.  I thought perhaps I could make some of my own beads when I needed something in a particular size, shape, or color.  Needless to say, during the school year I have too many irons in the fire and not nearly enough focus to really explore any medium.  Here is a little peak at a few of the things I've made with pc and with pc and stamps.
 This is white clay with polyclay glazes to look like a tile.
 A little distressed.  It has a hole at top and bottom for links.  Need to add these.
 Little birds with a polyclay glaze and some extra distressing and splotches of color.  
 I made the stamp for this one with an impression from a picture frame.  It is translucent clay and ink.
A poppy in need of some more detail and a clear glaze.
 A bee experiment with glaze.
 A mold made from a stamp which clearly I must clean.



1 comment: