Thursday, September 30, 2010

Finally Fall

As I have said before, it is hard to tell that fall has arrived in South Georgia.  Unlike Alabama, Walmart still has flip flops for sale and the temps are still rising to the mid-80's during the day.  It has finally stopped reading triple digits on my car thermometer when  I get in after school (just 91F today), and the AC at the house has stopped running 24/7.  But on the ground, signs of fall abound.  I picked up some evidence on my Sunday walk.  I had to shake a lot of sand out of these things, and Monday it started raining and has done so off and on since.  Glad we aren't having the weather of the Carolinas. 
angel's trumpets are taller than the garage

moss
¿wild portulaca?
live oak & water oak acorns and a beauty berry
pecan and dogwood hips
large oblong red berries are from the southern magnolia
far left - fist-sized magnolia dropping
it's a monster & worse than pine cones to run over with the mower
I'll leave you with a more pleasant image...this autumn's super star


1 comment:

  1. GORGEOUS photos, Lois!

    We are actually in the 80s over here in Bama too...and also we are obviously the most janked up crazy state for NOT HAVING FLIP FLIPS AT WALMART!

    It may take me a few years to get over it. You can bet I'll be stocking up next summer.

    (I'm still trying to figure out if I can take the time off to meet you at the bead show in Havana..will let ya know tomorrow!)

    Loveness.

    ReplyDelete