Sunday, October 23, 2011

A little productivity

Last weekend I drove down to Tallahassee to take a beginning metals class at the Florida Society of Goldsmiths  Northwest chapter.  They are currently offering a series of three metals workshops and will repeat these again in the spring.  Of course I didn't even bring my camera - what was I thinking?  But even if I had, I was a little too busy from 10 AM until 7 PM when I left to actually stop and take a photo.  Suzi Kamin was the instructor and I'm looking forward to the next two classes in the series when I will bring my camera.
squashed dimes, copper, argentium silver, and Czech glass
I made a textured copper bracelet, a pair of brass earrings, a pair of squashed dime earrings, and a silver band.  The focus of the class was learning about the studio equipment, basic sawing, soldering, texturing, dapping, and forming.  I left the fire scale on the copper above because I torched balls at both ends of the wire and wrapped them in about two minutes before the end of the class.  Next month is riveting and I have been collecting items that I might use.
there I am in my gold wedding band, above which is the textured silver band  I made
I had to do some superduper obscuring via Picnik because I didn't want to scare any reader with how frightening my hands appear on super macro.  I can see that my gold band is showing its years of wear.  I actually made the band to wear on another finger, but really liked how it looked with my wedding band and a tiny titanium band.  I'm hopping that I will keep learning and look back at this photo and be amazed at how rough and crude the ring appears!

No comments:

Post a Comment